Zac Williams

Saturday 21 March 2015

Summer time racing

What a blast the last few months have been! My career as really taken off in the recent months with what seems like non stop personal bests on and off the bike. It all stared last year in mid September at the Bike Nz Cup/Classic.

The first of what would be a full on action
Racing Sam in the Sprint Semi Final
packed three days started off with sprints, I managed to pull off a pb in qualifying to qualify 9th and won my first round ride against my team mate Ethan Mitchell. I raced my way through the rounds to end up 6th, with this my confidence grew and it set the tone for the for the following two days of racing. The next day was Keirin day, I snuck through the first round straight into the semi final which was that evening. The semi was staked full of fast rider,one that would expect to see at a World Cup let alone a tier one event! I finished 5th in that after running out of gas putting me into the 7th-12th final where I would eventually finish 10th. To say I was pleased with these two days would be an understatement but what would come on the 3rd day would blow these two days out of the water! It started with a massive pb in the sprint qualifying a 10.397 over a tenth of second off my old one set 2 days earlier! I race Ethan again in the first round and though he pushed me close just managed to pip him on the line. The quarter final was against Eddie Dawkins the man you had just ridden a 9.8 second qualifying that morning smashing the previous NZ record! The first ride his speed was far superior to mine and he easily passed me in the front straight, the second ride I was able to get an opportunity and catch him by surprise and it was just enough for me to be able to sneak out a win and make the quarter final go to a 3rd and final deciding ride, in the 3rd I released that the only way to beat Eddie was to use his big gear to his disadvantage and try to get the jump on him again and to my complete surprise I managed to! This win put me into the semi finals that evening and also made me the number 1 seed! The semi was against the current Olympic bronze medalist in the sprint, Australian Shane Perkins. I knew with the caliber of riders I was going to be facing that evening that I would struggle to win unless I pulled something out of the hat again, so I went in the the idea of trying to learn as much as I could. The two races against Perkins really showed my inexperience at this level of racing and why he is the Olympic bronze medalist. The same could be said for my bronze medal ride off against my team mate Sam Webster, he showed his class in both rides and despite me trying to race mistake free the pressure exerted made slight errors in judgment start to creep in and made me in two minds of what I was doing in both rides. The key things that I took home from racing both of these brilliantly tactical riders was the experience and new found tactical knowledge of racing.

The photo finish of the Austral
In the month of December in the week before Christmas a group of 5 kiwi riders including myself traveled across the ditch to Melbourne to have a crack at the Austral Wheel race, this being the 117th edition of the race, which happens to be the oldest bike race in the world! There were also tier one sprints and Keirins on offer. I managed to qualify 8th just allowing me to make the cut as it was top 8 through, the first round was a one off ride and I drew one of the fastest men in the world at the moment Matthew Glatzer with what seemed like a couple of stomps on the pedals he was around me in the backstretch on the last lap and she was all over. The night though would take an interesting and very unexpected twist though, I had managed to win my heat for the Austral and therefore qualify for the main event that evening. I had been given a generous handicap of 105 meters. The race was 8 laps in length, I quickly caught up to the front markers and sat on a wheel to try and save myself for the last few laps. A train of riders came round the group with about 3 laps to go and with a bit of bumping and barging managed to get onto the back of them, before I knew it the bell was sounding and I was in far from an ideal position, 6-8 back and 3 wide not the best spot to start a sprint from, never the less I decided to give it a go. By the time we were half way around the last corner I was gaining at a rate of knots on the lead riders and just as we crossed the line managed to roll two riders in a close photo finish! The result was astounding and I still find it hard to believe, I managed to become only the 3rd Kiwi to win this big race and the first for 50 years.
The Austral Trophy
Me in second during the Team Sprint in Cali
After the Austral I traveled home for Christmas but there was no let off in training with a camp coming up that had selection for the 3rd World Cup on the line there wasn't much of a break to be had. The training in the camp and the trial days went as good as i could have hoped for and I was selected to go off and race in Cali Colombia for my first ever World Cup. After 2 and a bit days of getting on and off planes I finally arrived on the other side of the Pacific Ocean in Cali, I had a few days training there getting used to the track and making sure I was in the best possible condition for racing. I rode in the team sprint on the first night of racing, it was my first time I had ridden 3rd wheel so the nerves were a little high. We managed to finish 9th which considering two if the three members of the team were 19 or younger made it a pretty good result with everyone pulling out awesome times in their respective laps. I then had a day off before my second and final event of the race meeting, I rode the sprints and managed to smash out a pb and a big one too, 10.3 dead. I was over the moon with the time but made a mistake during the ride which cost me time. Cali is a very unique track it's extremely tight in the corners with long straights, it has no walls and only a roof so you quite often find yourself riding in a head wind, but the thing that was my undoing during my ride was Cali has a pretty big bump halfway trough the last corner which tends to spit you out to above the red if you're not careful and I unfortunately wasn't careful enough which led to me riding the majority of the last corner above the red, but it was still a pb so I couldn't be too annoyed at myself.

During my flying 200
A week after I flew back from Cali it was time for the last event of the season for me, the Nationals. First up was the kilo which I was uncertain about, the whole week leading up to the Nationals after Cali my legs seemed to have not decided that they wanted to come back from Cali so I wasn't exactly lighting the boards a light with fast times. Thankfully though they arrived the day of the kilo and I managed to smash almost 3 seconds off my pb to go 1.01.67 which got me 4th, just 2 hundredths of a second off a bronze medal. The next morning followed with what seemed like during the ride my best ever flying 200, everything seemed to click and it showed in the time with another pb this time 10.271 that qualified me 5th, after a pretty straight forward ride in the first round I drew Ethan which seems to always be the way of late. He rode a brilliant race and I made a few mistakes so he managed to blow past me like I was standing still and that was that. I then had to front up in the ride off for 5th to 8th, I ended up 7th after leading out and running out of gas in the closing stages. The Keirin was next, the heat went perfectly, I rode from the front and ran away with the race which put me straight into the semi, that however didn't go to plan and it left me in the 7th to 12th ride off which I managed to ride away with the win and secure 7th place. The final day was the Team Sprint and I had to slot in behind the two current world champs in their favored positions in the team them being Ethan Mitchell and Sam Webster. In qualifying I was dropped and had to ride the whole race by myself off the back, we still managed to qualify first by 0.1 of a second which I was stoked with. I knew for the final that evening that if I got on we had a good chance of winning and I managed to do that, we won by 0.3 of a second and went 0.8 of a second faster than in qualifying giving me my first ever elite national title which I was over the moon with.
The Start of the Team Sprint at the Nationals



It's be such a cool and amazing last few months and I can't wait to see what the next few months and beyond have lying in wait!