Zac Williams

Sunday 4 August 2013

Bye Belgium, Hello Glasgow!!

Last ride in Belgium
with Quinn
So after 3 amazing weeks in Belgium I've finally moved on to my next destination, Glasgow Scotland. I'm going to miss Belgium as I found it to be such a great place and I really loved it there.

My last few training sessions in Belgium went extremely well with me pumping out fast times and also a couple of pb's in the process which is a great feeling to know I'm going that fast only a couple of days out of the biggest event for junior track cyclists in the world.

The team as a whole had a chance to go and look at some preserved trenches from the First World War and a couple of museums. The day out was a great experience for all of us in the team, but defiantly the most moving part of the day was  seeing a cemetery full of fallen soldiers most of the unnamed, just there nationality. There were 18 kiwis buried in that cemetery and its fair to say that I did shed a couple of tears when I came across the kiwis gravestones .
The graves of 3 unknown kiwis, tears were shed over these graves

Dinner in the square for the last night in Belgium
We had a long day travelling to Scotland even though it's just over the English Channel, First we had to catch two trains from Oudenaarde to Brussels airport, after the hour and a half train ride, we had to check in our bags for our 2 flights that afternoon, the first of which was to London. After a quick stop over in London we soon moved onto our flight to Glasgow. The flights though being short were still quite draining and I think we all felt it.

The Sir Chris Hoy velodrome in Glasgow, such an
amazing track
Our accommodation here in Glasgow is amazing, the hotel has the nicest beds after sleeping in rather hard beds for 3 weeks a nice soft bed felt like heaven. A highlight of my time in Scotland so far has to be sharing an elevator with Geordie Shore star Vicky Pattinson and sharing a bit of small talk with her! We had our first day on the track today as well and the track is simply awesome. Just everything about it is so nice and it seems a very easy track for certain lines but also a very difficult track for certain tactics so it should spice up the racing somewhat




Here is a link to the live streaming of the world champs, ill keep you updates with time of when my races are: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7NFlV830crPa8QkRMJSr33C4xEFx3RgU